If you’ve finally taken the plunge and bought a home, you probably don’t have much experience with a home’s HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning) system. Yet, there’s a lot involved with managing and operating a home’s HVAC system, especially if you’re intent on saving energy and money. Here are five essential tips for the first-time home buyer.
- Inspect the air filter. If there’s one HVAC maintenance tip that you shouldn’t forget, this is the one. The air filter serves the essential purposes of keeping dust and other particulates from circulating in household air, getting into sensitive equipment, and impeding system airflow. A dirty air filter can result in significantly reduced energy efficiency, poor air distribution, and eroded indoor air quality. Inspect the filter every month, and replace it when it gets dirty.
- Install a programmable thermostat. This is an essential upgrade in a modern home, allowing you to set temperature changes to match your daily and weekly schedule. There’s no reason to fully cool or heat a house when nobody’s home for the day. Modern programmable models offer a variety of cutting-edge features, including adaptive technology.
- Schedule seasonal maintenance for your cooling and heating systems. This ensures optimal energy efficiency, extends the service life of your equipment, and reduces the need for repairs. The technician will find small problems before they turn into big ones.
- Inspect your A/C’s or heat pump’s condensate drain periodically. This is the conduit that removes water from the A/C. Dehumidification is part of the air conditioning process, creating substantial moisture that needs to be drained away. Your A/C technician can explain this process for you.
- Use ceiling fans to supplement your air conditioning. Air movement from ceiling fans creates a cooling wind-chill effect for anyone under the fan. This makes the air feel 3 or 4 degrees cooler than its actual temperature, allowing you to raise the thermostat temperature by the same amount.
For more tips to help the first-time home buyer, please contact us at NisAir Air Conditioning and Heating. We provide quality HVAC services in Martin, Palm Beach, Indian River, and St. Lucie counties.