Skip to Content
chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up chevron-right chevron-left arrow-back star phone quote checkbox-checked search wrench info shield play connection mobile coin-dollar spoon-knife ticket pushpin location gift fire feed bubbles home heart calendar price-tag credit-card clock envelop facebook instagram twitter youtube pinterest yelp google reddit linkedin envelope bbb pinterest homeadvisor angies

When it comes to improving the air quality in your home, one culprit that deserves every homeowner’s attention is carbon monoxide, an invisible and odorless gas which can be given off by appliances in your home. Carbon monoxide detectors provide protection against this deadly gas.

Here are facts and tips about carbon monoxide, and how carbon monoxide detectors can help keep you and your loved ones safe:

  • Carbon monoxide can be given off by any heat producing appliance, including gas or propane powered hot water heaters, gas stoves, wood-burning stoves, gas fireplaces and standby generators. It’s a good idea to place carbon monoxide detectors near these items.
  • Have a certified HVAC technician perform an annual inspection of your heating system, water heater and any gas or oil burning appliances.
  • Be sure to have a backup battery-operated carbon monoxide detector if the only ones you currently have are hardwired into your home’s electrical system. You don’t want to be left unprotected if the power fails. Check the batteries each time you set the clocks back or forward, just as you check smoke detectors.
  • If any members of your home have trouble hearing, place detectors at either end of the home to ensure their alarm can be heard.
  • Be sure your home is well-ventilated, especially if you use gas or wood-burning appliances. This will allow carbon monoxide to escape before it builds up to dangerous levels.
  • Make sure your fireplace is well-vented and that your chimney is not blocked by debris. It’s a good idea to conduct a fall safety check every year, with this as one of the areas to inspect.
  • If you feel dizzy, light-headed or nauseous and suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, seek medical attention immediately.
  • If your carbon monoxide detector sounds the alarm, immediately leave the home and call 911.

NisAir Air Conditioning and Heating has been serving Florida’s Martin, Palm Beach and Indian River Counties for more than 40 years. Contact us for help with any questions you have about protecting your family from carbon monoxide.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *