Skip to Content
chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up chevron-right chevron-left arrow-back star phone quote checkbox-checked search wrench info shield play connection mobile coin-dollar spoon-knife ticket pushpin location gift fire feed bubbles home heart calendar price-tag credit-card clock envelop facebook instagram twitter youtube pinterest yelp google reddit linkedin envelope bbb pinterest homeadvisor angies

Installing UV lights in your home may be your best option if you’re looking for a chemical-free, low maintenance and unobtrusive way to fight mold. Unlike chemical sprays or liquids that sometimes emit hazardous gases and need to be reapplied periodically, a UV (ultraviolet) light system works behind the scenes on a continuous basis to stop the proliferation of indoor mold.

UV is the spectrum of light from the sun that can disinfect bacteria and mold growth. When UV rays hit mold spores, their DNA structure is altered, leaving them unable to reproduce. When a species can’t continue to repopulate, eventually the entire colony dies off. UV lights eliminate these biohazards soundlessly and automatically behind the scenes.

The best place for a UV light system is inside your HVAC system, with the lights placed inside the ductwork and air handler. At some point, nearly all the air in your home will pass through the HVAC system, and as it does, the lights decimate the mold’s ability to reproduce. These lights are particularly beneficial because:

  • They’re invisible. The only negative side effect of UV lights is that they can damage eyesight, especially with prolonged exposure. However, when placed inside the HVAC system, there’s little risk of optical exposure.
  • They control mold growth in an otherwise hospitable environment. Mold needs warmth, moisture and food to thrive. This is why mold colonies can thrive in ducts, in your drainage system and on evaporator coils. When mold grows over the evaporator coil, your central A/C’s and heat pump’s efficiency can drop dramatically. This coil is responsible for heat exchange, and when it’s covered with mold, it won’t do its job as well and may cause a costly compressor failure.
  • Your HVAC system is a powerful tool for sanitizing and distributing mold-free air, eliminating its population throughout your home.

If you’d like to learn more about using UV lights to manage mold growth in your home, contact the pros at NisAir Air Conditioning & Heating. We’ve been providing expert HVAC services for Palm Beach, Martin and Indian River County homeowners since 1973.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *