Stifle the Sneeze! Tips for Allergy Sufferers
Spring is a wonderful season for many thanks to the blooming trees, pastel-colored fields, and fresh fragrances. Unfortunately, it can be a miserable time if you’re an allergy sufferer due to the recurring coughing, sneezing, congestion and itchy eyes, just to name a few. Follow these spring allergy tips to breathe easy.
- Don’t open windows – Pollen is a major culprit of spring allergies in Florida. The pollen count is usually higher between 5 a.m. and 10 a.m. Therefore, avoid opening your windows especially during the early morning hours.
- Remove your shoes before entering the house – This will reduce the amount of pollen and other allergens you track into your home.
- Change your air filter regularly – A dirty filter can downgrade your home’s indoor air quality. Check your filter every month and change it at least once every two months. Make sure you choose a filter with a MERV (Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value) rating of at least 8.
- Clean around your A/C units – Your outdoor A/C unit pulls air from outside and pushes it through your HVAC system and finally into your home. You should clear away dirt, dust, and other debris from the unit to prevent them from ending up in your home. Clean the area around your indoor unit frequently as well.
- Conduct a mold audit – Every few weeks check for mold in your ducts, evaporator coils, condensate drip pan and drain, air handler and mold-prone areas like the bathroom. Wipe or scrub any visible mold away with commercial mold removal products or homemade solutions like a baking soda-detergent solution. Alternatively, you can call in a professional.
- Clean the registers and return vents – You can use a damp or treated rag to keep away dust particles.
- Schedule HVAC maintenance – Spring is an ideal time to have your HVAC system serviced by a professional.
These tips will help make your house a safe haven for seasonal allergy sufferers. For more useful spring allergy tips, please contact us at NisAir Air Conditioning and Heating. We serve Martin, Palm Beach, and Indian River counties.