The air in our homes is continually being refreshed via a complex system of ducts, vents and ventilating fans. These systems keep our indoor air from becoming stale, polluted and even too steamy after a long shower. Here’s a quick guide to how a ventilating fan works and why having the right fan for your home is important.
A ventilating fan is simply a mechanical unit that draws out old air from your home and replaces it with fresh air. This is important because, in airtight homes, indoor pollutants, moisture and pathogens would not be able to escape your home without mechanical assistance.
Several types of exhaust fans are commonly used for this purpose:
- Ceiling mounted – These remove stale air upwards through the roof. They are connected to your ductwork and should not be confused with ceiling fans that only circulate air, but do not draw it out of the home.
- Inline – Mounted inside your ductwork, these fans are out of sight and out of mind. They help move air directly through your ducts and usually do so quietly.
- Wall mounted – Located on exterior walls, these provide a direct route from the home to the outside and are not connected to your duct system.
- Combination – More complex than other units, these can provide fan-light, fan-heat or fan-heat-light variations in a single unit.
- Exterior remote – Mounted outside of your home, these fans pull rather than push stale air outside.
- Kitchen – Every chef knows how this fan pulls bad odors and steam away from your stove.
- Bathroom – Among the most important fans, these pull steam and moisture away from your bathroom, which helps prevent moisture buildup and the associated mold that can grow in these rooms.
At NisAir Air Conditioning & Heating, we have been providing customers throughout Boca Raton and the surrounding area with quality HVAC advice and services since 1973. Whether you need a new ventilating fan installed or simply want to upgrade your existing ventilation system, we have the skills and experience necessary to make that happen. We look forward to having you contact us so you can become our next satisfied client.