The South Florida cooling season is long and hot, and the constant operation of your air conditioner can take a toll on your system. You can help your overworked air conditioner work efficiently for the duration of the summer and maintain optimum comfort in your home with these tips.
Maintain your system
- Schedule your annual preventive maintenance if you haven’t already. A comprehensive tune-up by a qualified HVAC technician will increase your air conditioner’s efficiency, lower your energy bills, extend its life, and help prevent common A/C problems.
- Have your evaporator and condenser coils cleaned. Dirty coils hamper the exchange of heat from your home to the outdoors, taxing your system and reducing your comfort level.
- Inspect your air filter each month and replace it when you can no longer see through it. A dirty filter impedes the air flow to your system, making it work harder to keep you cool.
- Spray down your outdoor unit monthly to remove debris trapped in the fins.
Keep the heat out
- Seal air leaks in your home. Caulk around non-movable parts of doors and windows and apply weatherstripping to movable parts. Use expanding caulk to seal leaks around service entrances and pipes that protrude through exterior walls.
- Seal loose joints and cracks in your ductwork with metal tape or mastic sealant to prevent conditioned air from escaping. Insulate ducts in unconditioned areas such as crawl spaces.
- Keep your drapes closed during the day to combat the heat gain from the sun beating down on your home.
- Avoid using heat-generating appliances during the hottest part of the day.
Increase your comfort
- Use fans to help you feel cooler.
- Avoid strenuous activities during the day.
- Stay hydrated.
- Use a window air conditioner along with your central system during heat waves to keep your home cool and take some of the load off of your central air conditioner.
For more expert advice about helping your overworked air conditioner keep you cool and stay efficient, please feel free to contact us at NisAir Air Conditioning and Heating, proudly serving Martin, Palm Beach and Indian River counties with a high level of customer satisfaction.