If you have a heat pump, you’ve made a smart energy decision. A well-maintained air-source heat pump can reduce the amount of energy you use for heating and cooling by 30-40 percent. But to keep your heat pump working at peak efficiency, regular heat pump maintenance is required. Otherwise, your heat pump could end up using 10-25 percent more energy than necessary. That’s why we recommend that you schedule professional heat pump maintenance at least once a year.
During professional heat pump maintenance, your technician perform the following tasks:
- Install a new filter.
- Clean the coils and fans.
- Remove any plants, grass clippings or other yard debris that is blocking your outdoor condensing unit.
- Inspect the supply and return registers in your house and move any obstructions such as furniture, rugs or drapes.
- Find and seal duct leaks.
- Measure system airflow to make sure it’s precisely calibrated for your heat pump.
- Check your refrigerant charge and recharge, if necessary. If the level is low, look for possible leaks in the lines.
- Inspect (and repair, if necessary) electric terminals.
- Lubricate motors.
- Inspect belts for looseness or wear and tear, and repair if necessary.
- Test the thermostat and make sure that it’s operating correctly.
The warm weather months are just starting in our part of Florida. And you’ll be happy to have your heat pump working at peak performance. So be sure to schedule professional heat pump maintenance if you haven’t already done so.
For more information about heat pump maintenance and other issues related to energy savings in your South Florida home, please contact us at NisAir Air Conditioning & Heating. We’ve proudly served Martin, Palm Beach, St. Lucie and Indian River counties for more than 40 years.