In Indian River County, staying cool in the summer is hard enough without having to worry about how it will affect your energy bill. If you want to cut cooling costs without sweating out the heat, try these tips in your home:
- Install a programmable thermostat to manage your air conditioner. You don’t need as much air conditioning when you’re sleeping or when you’re out at work for the day. However, remembering to set and reset the thermostat multiple times a day runs the risk that you’ll forget or give it up as a hassle. A programmable thermostat will take care of that for you.
- Turn on your ceiling fan. The fan moves air across your skin, cooling you in a process called the wind chill effect. But don’t bother to run the fan when you’re not in the room: fans help you feel cooler, rather than lower the temperature of the room.
- Get your insulation in place. Insulation doesn’t just keep heat in during the winter—it keeps heat out during the summer.
- Seal your air ducts. Air leaks from your ductwork can lose you around 30 percent of your energy spending.
- Use outdoor grills and microwaves to cook instead of your home’s stove, or eat cooler meals. Your stove can warm up your home.
- Shade your windows. Whether you choose blinds, awnings, curtains or more green growing plants outside, this will stop the sun’s heat from warming up your home.
- Tune up your A/C with some annual maintenance or upgrade to a higher-efficiency model. Ask your local HVAC experts if there are incentives or tax credits for upgrading available in your area.
- Dehumidify your home. Humidity helps the air hold onto heat, meaning that if you can dry out the air a little, you’ll be cooler overall.
NisAir Air Conditioning and Heating is proud to help homeowners in Martin County, Palm Beach County and Indian River County manage their cooling costs. Give us a call today!