Hiring an HVAC contractor in the Treasure Coast region isn’t hard, but finding one who’ll get the job done to the highest standards takes some research. Asking the right questions will help you avoid the less reliable contractors and zero in on the best.
- Check the basics – At a minimum, your contractor should be licensed, bonded and insured for Florida. Also ask if the technicians are NATE (North American Technician Excellence) certified. NATE is an independent, non-profit program that provides extensive HVAC training and testing. A contractor who holds NATE certification has taken extra, voluntary steps to become a high-quality service provider.
- Ask for references – Ask the contractors you talk with to provide you with at least three references from among their past customers. Contact all three customers and ask if the work was done on time and within budget, and if they were satisfied with the results.
- Get it in writing – Before hiring an HVAC contractor for a major HVAC upgrade, get proposals from at least three different companies. Compare the energy efficiency and warranties of any new equipment as well as the total cost.
- Read the contract – Carefully read through the entire contract and ask about anything you don’t understand. Your contract should mention your “three-day right to cancel,” known as the right of rescission. This allows you to cancel for any reason within three days of signing the contract. The contract should also state that any changes must be made in writing.
- Check the payment terms – Beware of contractors who request large down payments. Any down payment shouldn’t be more than 10 percent of the job’s total cost or $1,000, whichever is less. If you’re paying as work is completed, the contract should stipulate the payment schedule. This protects you from the contractor requesting early payment.
If you’re considering hiring an HVAC contractor for installation, maintenance or repair of your air conditioning or heating system, contact us at NisAir Air Conditioning & Heating. Anywhere in Martin, Palm Beach or Indian River county, you can rely on us for honest pricing and friendly service.