Summer is a great time to relax, unwind, and spend time with friends and family. Unfortunately, thieves use this time of year to prey on homes that appear to be vacant. Here are some things you can do to improve your home safety and security while you’re on vacation:
- Adjust your thermostat to save energy. Set the temperature at a level that is higher than usual but also addresses the needs of the home. For example, high levels of humidity can damage hardwood floors. If moisture is an issue, you may want to set the air conditioner to run at particular times to reduce humidity. Leaving the A/C running at some level also will improve home safety and security, since an operating outdoor compressor will make it seem as if someone’s home.
- Turn down the temperature on your water heater to the lowest setting. This way you’re not paying to heat water that will not be used.
You don’t want it to be apparent that you’ve been away from home for an extended period of time from the outside. In addition to leaving the A/C running, do the following:
- Contact the post office and have your mail held.
- Stop any regular deliveries such as newspaper subscriptions and medical supplies.
- Use timers to turn the lights in your home on and off to give the illusion of someone being home.
- Arrange for lawn care while you’re away.
- Be sure to set your burglar alarm.
Finally, to improve the home safety and security of your property, take care to unplug all non-essential appliances. If you will be away for more than a few days, turn off water to appliances. A small water leak from an appliance can cause extensive damage if not addressed for several days.
For additional information about home safety and security or any questions about home comfort, please contact us at NisAir Air Conditioning and Heating. We’re dedicated to customer satisfaction and have been addressing the needs of Martin, Palm Beach, St. Lucie and Indian River counties since 1973.