Seasonal allergies are a problem for many people, and they really start to take a toll around mid-March for most allergy sufferers. However, you don’t have to simply suffer through with a box of tissue and over-the-counter medicine. There are some things you can do in your home to help fight seasonal allergies:
- Take off your shoes at the door. Dragging pollen and pollutants into your home can be limited if you take your shoes off each time you enter.
- Add a germicidal ultraviolet (UV) light system to your forced-air cooling system. This can help neutralize and kill organic pollutants, including bacteria, mold and viruses, that are suspended in indoor air. Most HVAC companies will provide a free estimate for this installation.
- Use microfiber cleaning cloths in your home. These help to trap any allergens instead of just pushing them off of surfaces and into your air.
- Replace your HVAC system’s filter at least once per month during the heavy Florida cooling season. Follow the manufacturer’s recommendation and never let your filter stay in place too long. It could result in costly repairs and a less efficient system.
- Have your carpet professionally cleaned. Professional cleanings can help get rid of pollutants deep in carpet fibers and relieve allergy symptoms.
- Clear the clutter. Having too much stuff on your tables and shelves provides ample resting places for dust and allergens. Get rid of what you don’t need and make cleaning easier.
- Wash bedding and towels in hot water. Hot water helps kill bacteria and gets rid of pollutants that irritate allergies.
- Keep your windows closed whenever possible. Letting allergens in, especially when pollen count is high, is not a good idea.
- Add an air purification system to your home. HIgh-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filters are helpful; integrated HVAC systems are better.
- Avoid or minimize use of synthetic cleaners. Use natural options, such as baking soda and vinegar, whenever possible.
Please contact NisAir Air Conditioning and Heating for more information on ways you can reduce seasonal allergies and for all of your heating and air conditioning needs. We’ve been servicing Palm Beach, Indian River and Martin counties since 1973 and look forward to helping you. You can schedule your service or maintenance online at your convenience.