A ductless mini split is an ideal way to cool (or heat) homes without ductwork. Maintaining the ductless mini split in your home will ensure that it operates efficiently during Florida’s long cooling season, saving you money on repair costs and lowering your energy bill. A neglected system will likely require expensive repairs down the road, and will operate considerably less efficiently than a well-maintained system. Ductless mini split maintenance begins with a qualified HVAC technician, who will perform a multi-point tune-up that includes these essential tasks:
- Clean and inspect the evaporator coil.
- Balance the blower and fan wheel.
- Verify optimum airflow to your system.
- Check the level of refrigerant, adjust if necessary, and test for leaks.
- Remove debris from the outdoor condensing coil.
- Tighten electrical connections and belts.
- Lubricate the moving parts of the system to prevent friction.
- Clean and calibrate the thermostat for accuracy.
- Flush the condensate drain to help prevent clogs, which can promote mold and mildew growth.
Between annual ductless mini split maintenance calls, there are several things you should do throughout the cooling season to keep your system in top condition:
- Inspect your air filter every month and replace it when you can’t see through it. A clean filter is essential for protecting your system from dust buildup, extending its life and maintaining your indoor air quality.
- Vacuum the area around the indoor evaporator coil regularly to prevent dust from entering the system.
- Check the condensate drain pan every month or two to ensure it’s draining properly, especially during humid weather. If you detect mold growth or if the drain is clogged, call a professional to address the issue.
- Maintain at least two feet of space around your outdoor unit. Remove plant growth and hose down the unit monthly to remove dirt and debris that are trapped in the metal fins.
Martin, Palm Beach, St. Lucie and Indian River county residents rely on NisAir Air Conditioning & Heating for optimum comfort year round. Please contact us for more information about the importance of ductless mini split maintenance, or to schedule a seasonal tune-up with one of our qualified technicians.